As excitement builds for the 17th Annual Kaneland Community Fine Arts Festival, I wanted to make sure to highlight some wonderful Arts opportunities that are available for our guests. On Sunday, April 10th, the Festival offers its guests a diverse number of workshops and hands on arts experiences. Remember, that all of these workshops are free! Click HERE to download the official 2016 Schedule!
Tom Leibing makes drums out of recycled propane tanks. His pieces are functional instruments and beautiful works of art. Guests will have two opportunities to experience his custom tank drums.
- The Tank Drum TUNING Workshop will be held at 11:15am in the Kaneland High School Black Box Theatre. This workshop is for a more developing or advanced musican as Mr. Leibing will bring tank drums that have not yet been completely tuned to their final music pitches. Throughout the hour long workshop, students will learn how Mr. Leibing tunes the drums using specific tools to shape each note on the instrument and then they will tune the drums. This workshop is appropriate for late elementary school (4th/5th grades) music students through high school. Please email us at email@example.com to enroll in this unique workshop. Space is limited to 10 students.
- In the Tank Drum Demonstration Performance at 3:00 pm on the Arts Pavilion stage, Mr. Leibing will demonstrate how he makes the drums, how they work, and he will lead 10 volunteers in an impromptu performance. All are welcome to attend this event and we suggest that you reserve your spot to work with Mr. Leibing by email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember space is limited to 10 people.
This year, we are thrilled to invite Bill Cho’s Ultimate Taekwondo Center from Sycamore to perform their martial arts skills. They will perform on the Kaneland Auditorium stage at 2:00 pm, but before they take to the stage, they will be in the KHS commons area (west of the KHS Art Club) at 1:00 pm teaching guests to safely break boards. This is a walk in clinic (no registration is required) and all are welcome to attend and participate. Parents of students in elementary school or younger must remain with their child(ren).
For the first time in the history of the Kaneland Community Fine Arts Festival, we are offering an art class! We are so excited to welcome Michael Barton back to the Festival to teach a photography class at 3pm in the Black Box Theatre. In The Impact of Light on Photographs, Mr. Barton discusses how understanding light will allow you to take phenomenal photographs. Known around the United States as an amazing professional, artist, and teacher, Mr. Barton bring his extensive knowledge to this class. You will want to register ASAP. This class is appropriate for high school students and older. Educators will receive 1 CPU for attending this event. Click here to sign up.
We are also pleased to offer a unique clinic for families with special needs. Dr. David Foss of Vital Wellness Center in Elburn and Tracy Adams of DancEncounters in Geneva have teamed up to bring you Brain Balance for ADHD & Autism Spectrum in the KHS auxiliary gym at 2:00 pm. In this workshop, Dr. Foss and Ms Adams will discuss how movement is a nutrient for brain balance and development. Especially geared towards families with ADHD and Autism Spectrum needs, Brain Balance is a hands on experience that your family will not want to miss. Please wear comfortable clothing and bring your questions! All family members are welcome to this engaging presentation. Parents may attend without their children, but children must have a parent present at this event. Click here to sign up for this workshop.
Our “make and take” workshops in the Arts Pavilion are a much anticipated tradition at the Festival. This year is no exception. Make sure you stop by and see the folloiwng artists, create art, and bring it home as a momento of your Art filled day:
- Tina Fischer, fused glass
- Michael Shiroda, caricature
- Ranjan Roy, henna hand tattoos
This year’s Festival will delight audiences young and old!
I look forward to seeing you at the 17th Annual Kaneland Community Fine Arts Festival!
Partnering with YOU in the Arts,
Maria Y. Dripps-Paulson